Reporting directly into the CEO, the Director of Human Resources works closely with the senior executive team at the strategic level to deliver high quality generalist human resource support across several national operational locations. This individual will carry end-to-end responsibility for the administration of the human resources function across all business operations for this rapidly growing technology innovator with 100+ employees.
In addition to handling all personnel, compliance, employee relations, labor relations and staff development functions of the company, this is also a highly strategic position which requires impeccable interpersonal and communication skills, as well as the ability to guide the senior level executive team in all human resources matters and serve as confidential counsel to management and staff alike. A solid understanding of California human resources law, practices and regulations, as well as relevant certifications is a plus.
Scope and Core Responsibilities:
The Director of Human Resources will be responsible for implementing, administering, and guiding the human resources function and within the company across all office and operational locations. A key member of the team, this individual will drive human resources strategy at the senior executive team level, as well as take a hands-on approach to driving company culture and employee engagement on every other level.
- Originate and lead human resources practices and objectives within the company to provide an employee-oriented, high performance culture that emphasizes empowerment, quality, productivity and standards, goal attainment and the recruitment and ongoing development of a superior workforce;
- Serve on the executive management team to assist and advise the company on human resources issues across all operational locations, and ensure that the team has the right human resources input to make sound business decisions
- Drive medium and long-term strategies to develop bench-strength talent, career plans and leadership;
- Ensure compliance with federal, state and local legal requirements by staying abreast of existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions to remain compliant;
- Coordinate all recruiting activities with direct involvement in hiring plans, job descriptions, marketing and recruiting for roles, screening candidates, collecting feedback and closing or onboarding candidates;
- Coordinate effective employee on-boarding and terminations, including equipment, access and required forms;
- Develop, recommend, and implement and keep current personnel policies and procedures for all company employees;
- Provide company-wide compensation and benefits administration, including processing payroll, worker’s compensation and leave;
- Refine and coordinate the performance review process, promotions and compensation changes in collaboration with the management team;
- Manage training and other educational and developmental programs;
- Maintain and keep current the Employee Handbook, ensure the proper dissemination of policies and procedures, and work to ensure that all human resource issues are handled accordingly;
- Keep a pulse on company culture, monitoring work satisfaction and identifying programs and refinements to the day-to-day experience;
- Provide coaching to others on their own development, to enable them to become effective leaders and great mentors for their teams;
- Hold leaders accountable for fostering healthy work environments, and assist them in maintaining a culture that optimizes the passion and potential of their people;
- Conduct on-going re-evaluations of all human resources initiatives, programs, policies and procedures for cost-effectiveness;
- Create and maintain all human resources records and reports, files and requisite documentation.
- Other duties as assigned
Experience and Skill Sets Preferred:
The ideal candidate is a confident, approachable, professional, and driven strategic thinker, with demonstrated success advising senior executive teams on human resources matters and driving company culture and employee engagement for high-growth companies across multiple operational locations. This individual must be well-organized, a self-starter, with impeccable interpersonal communication skills, and the ability to effect change and create order at any level in an organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, or a related field
- Minimum of 8+ years prior experience driving Human Resources function, programs and services
- SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP, PHR, PHRca and/or SPHR certifications are a plus
- Working knowledge of Human Resources and labor laws and regulations – proficiency with California laws is a plus
- Prior experience building out and leading the Human Resources function for a high-growth organization
- Prior experience devising and implementing Human Resources strategy across multiple operational locations
- Prior experience serving as a member of, or working closely with, the senior executive management team
- Experience with national and global expansion is a plus
- Strong program management skills, and willing to be very hands-on in operations
- Open to occasional travel to the company’s various operational locations, as needed
- Personable: enthusiastic, respectful and friendly—adept at communicating effectively with others and maintaining positive interdepartmental relationships.
- Dedicated, Hard-Working: “hands-on” and focused – eager to roll up their sleeves.
- Smart: dynamic and strategic problem solver. Has the intellectual horsepower and creativity to circumvent obstacles and solve complex problems.
- Passionate, kind, sympathetic: able to understand the views of others, and skilled at finding amicable solutions.
- Motivated: possesses internal drive to succeed and ability to work independently, with minimum supervision, to complete projects from start-to-finish.
- Organized: highly organized with attention to detail, enabling the ability to effectively monitor the state of machinery and equipment, and make timely repairs.
- Accountable: takes ownership for results as well as the activity required to achieve them.
- Dedicated, hard-working: willing to work as hard as it takes to get the job done.
- Honest, forthright: thinks and acts with impeccable integrity and thoroughness.
- Disciplined: proven ability to measure success against defined criteria and objectives.
- Team-player: collaborator with ability to create a positive work environment and make meaningful contributions and recommendations.