The enterprise often asks us if they should build their own Cloud Management Center (known more commonly in the industry as a NOC), or if they should outsource the build to a managed service provider.
The answer to that question depends on several factors. But, before we dive in, it’s important to understand exactly what a CMC is and what it can do for your business.
A CMC (Cloud Management Center), is a centralized location where organizations monitor either their client’s, or their own, IT infrastructure. The CMC monitors IT environments 24x7x365 to flag any issues that arise and to get everything back in working order as quickly as possible.
In short, CMCs keep your business up and running at the highest possible capacity.
A CMC can serve any of the following functions, and more:
- Monitoring and managing hardware, i.e.: server space available, or malfunctioning of physical equipment
- Acting as the first line of defense against security breaches
- Ensuring connectivity and proper functioning of the environment at all times
- Automatic ticket creation when issues arise
A CMC is staffed by CMC engineers to ensure constant coverage, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. CMCs can be housed at a data center, on-prem, or outsourced to a managed service provider (like Unitas).
But is building a CMC right for your business, or should you outsource the work? You should consider outsourcing if:
- Your environment is complex, with lots of activity
- You have a small IT team or few resources to dedicate to building and maintaining the CMC (Remember: the CMC needs to be staffed 24/7)
- Your current IT staff doesn’t have the experience needed to run a CMC
- You are concerned about the costs of building your own CMC
Outsourcing your CMC can mean reduced costs and a quicker start for your operations.
At Unitas, we are dedicated to providing the best client support by taking monitoring and managing a step further. We provide our clients with a holistic view of multiple IT systems through our CMC, which you can learn more about here.
Interested in using our CMC to support your business? Contact us at email@example.com to start the discussion today.